Everyone knows that human bodies weaken over time, and teeth are no exception. Often taken for granted, teeth are very important for overall health and can become weak if they aren’t cared for properly. Continue reading to learn five ways to help you preserve your teeth as you age.
5 Tips to Preserve Your Teeth
- Practice proper oral hygiene – Properly brushing and flossing between your teeth twice each day will help you fight tooth decay and periodontal disease which can lead to tooth loss.
- Stay on top of professional treatment – Routine cleanings and oral health examinations will help maintain your oral health and catch any negative conditions that you may develop. Early intervention is the key to preserve your teeth and oral health, and you should also make a point of having any dental crowns or fillings replaced as needed.
- Limit your consumption of acidic liquids – Heavy consumption of acidic drinks such as soda, alcohol, and juice contribute to tooth erosion and decay. Do your best to drink more water than flavored liquids, and rinse your mouth with water after you do drink soda or fruit juice.
- Protect your teeth when you sleep – Many people suffer from deteriorating teeth as they age because of uncontrollable tooth grinding when they sleep. Your dentist will be able to notice if you have this problem quite easily and will suggest that you wear a special mouthguard while you sleep to protect your teeth.
- Lead a healthy lifestyle – Routine exercise and following a healthy diet is important for overall health and can help you preserve your teeth by reducing your chances of developing diabetes, heart disease, or other conditions that can seriously harm gum health. Make a point of eating plenty of calcium-rich foods such as low-fat dairy products or cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli to keep your teeth and bones strong.
Talk to your dentist at Peachtree Periodontics to learn about more ways to help preserve your teeth as you age.